Saturday, January 4, 2014

My GF Pantry List

I just had a sweet friend that I, unfortunately don't get to see very often, contact me to say she has just found out that she has developed a sensitivity to wheat/gluten.  I jumped in to give her some advice and then thought that maybe more people might benefit from what we have learned.

My first suggestions is - Don't go out and buy one of every pre-packaged GF item you can find!!!!!!  I had a little moment of panic and did just that.  There were many tears shed and money spent on dry, grainy, tasteless foods that Kasen wouldn't eat.  I couldn't even eat it - it was such a waste of money!

Of course, lots of fruits and veggies and lean meat are always best for all of us!  If we could all eat the way Jesus did, we would all be so much healthier!  :-)  However, after Jesus ascended into Heaven, some crazy person invented processed food, including cake icing!!!!!  UUUUUUUGGGGG!  My taste buds and Kasen's taste buds have acquired such a taste for that sweet stuff!

Just a little tid-bit, Betty Crocker icing is GF!!!!  YAAAAY!  It's just getting the cake to be GF!  That has been a little tricky!  I have found a solution and I will share my cupcake recipes later, in another post.  If you're local, hollar and I'll bake you a gf cake! ;-)

As far as gf items that we purchase and keep on hand?  I will list them below:


  • Lay's potato chips (I posted the link earlier in my chicken nugget post)
  • Doritos (Included on the Lay's gf list)
  • Cheetos (Included on the Lay's gf list)
  • Ore-Ida french fries (They have over 30 varieties that are GF and it says so right on the package)
  • Idahoan boxed potatoes (The Steakhouse varieties are yummy)  check out the link for a list of their gf options:  http://idahoan.com/category/products/gluten-free/
  • Pebbles (Fruity and Cocoa are both GF - even the ceareal bars!)
  • Gushers and other fruit snacks 
  • Glutino Pretzels (We do splurge on these from Harris Teeter.  They are very good and work well in the lunch box)
  • Glutino chocolate sandwich cookies (These look like oreos and we definitely splurge on these.  Kasen doesn't like them so much by them selves but i will put those babies in the food processor for incredible oreo balls and they also make a PERFECT pie crust! Oh, and Harris Teeter has them.)
  • Glutino table crackers (These are GREAT!  Kasen likes to put peanut butter on one and nutella on the other and smush them together for a nice healthy school snack.)

Ok, so my pretzel bag doesn't look so hot.  They were good tho! heehee
  • Amy's GF Macaroni and Cheese (found at Wal-Mart and HT but WM is cheaper)
  • Plain Rice
  • GF BISQUICK!!!!!!!  YAAAY!
  • Progresso gf cream of mushroom soup (makes a great chicken pie)  http://progresso.com/Products/Gluten-Free
  • Glutino Genius soft white bread (found at Harris Teeter in the frozen food section) for bread, it is the best we have found so far.  He doesn't like a sandwich but toast or a grilled cheese are both good.
  • GF Soy sauce and Teriyaki sauce (HT again)
So, that is a list of what we stock in our cabinets.  All of this, of course, in addition to meats, veggies, dairy and fruits. :-) If I find that I can add to this list, I will let you know!!  I have noted that these items are found at Harris Teeter but that is just my regular shopping spot.  I'm sure they are also available at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.  Most are also available at the local Company Shops Market. 

One of our biggest struggles has been finding a gf granola or protein bar that Kasen will eat - that is inexpensive!!!  I finally found a No-Gii bar made by Elizabeth Hasselbeck.  They are yum-o but are about $1.50 per bar! (I have only found those in the check out line at Dick's Sporting Goods and on line, of course.)  That's a little pricey to have every day for snack or even between baseball games at a weekend tournament.  I finally found a recipe for homemade granola bars and they are good!!!! I will share that soon. 


I hope my little list has helped.  I named this post My GF Pantry List and it is really bothering me that Ore rida french fries and Glutino bread are in my freezer and not my pantry. Please forgive me for this misnomer.  I just wanted to name it something that might be easy to find later if you need to check back. :-)

If you find a gf item that is a "must have" be sure to comment below so we can share the info!  Happy Pantry Shopping!  (Please note, it does not say panty shopping!  You wouldn't believe how many times I have checked my typing to make sure I didn't type the wrong word! heehee) 

No comments:

Post a Comment