Thursday, June 12, 2014

Cream Soup

My family loves chicken pie!  For a while, I was using Pacific Cream of Chicken soup found at my local Company Shops Market.  It was a little pricey so I decided to try Progresso Cream of Mushroom soup that is labeled gluten free!  YAY!  The flavor was great but my boys were not a fan of the chunks of mushroom.  :-(  Soooo, I started straining my soups to get out all of those chunks.  :-P  That worked well until my local grocery store was always out!  I would check back often and they were always sold out!  I resorted to my pantry, and Google, of course! I found a recipe for cream soup with items I already had.  (I have looked all over the place and cannot find my source for this recipe.  As soon as I find it, I will add it to this post.)  This base is so easy to make ahead and it tastes YUMMY in my chicken pie!  It is also much cheaper than buying soup in a can.

Ingredients:

2 cups instant nonfat dry milk powder
10 Tbl corn starch
1/2 cup potato flakes
1/4 cup bouillon granules (gf)
2 Tbl dried vegetable flakes (optional)
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp black pepper

(By the way, I love the veggie flakes in this recipe!  They add such a great flavor!  I wouldn't make it without them!)

In food processor, combine all ingredients, cover and process.  :-)  Store in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year.

When ready to make soup:

Whisk 1 1/3 cups water and 6 Tbl soup mix together in a microwave safe bowl.  Microwave on high uncovered 2 to 2 1/2 minutes stirring occasionally.  

As I mentioned, this is great in my chicken pie!  It would also be great in chicken noodle soup!  

Happy Comfort Food!
Christy  
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment