Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Chicken Pie

Chicken pie is one of my family's favorite meals.  I have made several different recipes and have finally found one we all love.  I will have to admit, the first time I made a GF chicken pie, I made a flour blend by weighing all of my different flours and made my own dough.  I got to the stage in my crust where I had to roll it out between two sheets of wax paper.  I realized at that moment that I didn't have a rolling pen!  I began searching all over the house.  My glasses aren't round.  It finally hit me - my boys play baseball!!  I sent them out to the garage to find the "cleanest" baseball bat they could find.  I then, proceeded to roll out my dough with the baseball bat - I of course didn't allow my bat to come in contact with my dough and also did a lot of cleaning and hand washing!!!  (We survived!)  The end result?  My boys both liked it but only enough to eat one small plate.  My husband went back to the kitchen to fix him something else.  He couldn't eat it.  :-(  It was a little heavy.  Oh well, my chicken pies have come a long way and they are "easy as pie"!!!  My sweet friend Nikki gave me a recipe that we all like very much but I have adapted it to fit my fam.

Ingredients:
3 large cans chicken breast 
1 can Progresso GF cream of mushroom soup
Butter to taste
1 Pillsbury pie/pastry crust (found at Lowes foods in the refrigerated sections with the biscuits)
3 hard boiled eggs - *optional

My boys don't like eggs in their chicken pie so I normally don't include them but I grew up eating chicken pie with sliced boiled eggs.  I don't know if that's a southern thing or if it is just my family's thing but they add a little something to the dish.


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
Drain and rinse canned chicken several times to remove as much salt as possible.  Empty chicken into a 9x13 inch dish.  Pour cream of mushroom soup on top of chicken (My boys don't like the mushrooms because sometimes, the chunks are large so I strain my soup and discard the mushrooms.)  Dollop (is that a word?) some butter on top of the chicken and soup mixture.  Remove dough from container and separate dough into 2 pieces (if you are only putting dough on the top) and knead dough until elasticity forms - basically, 'til it sticks together.  Place between two pieces of wax paper and roll with a rolling pen until very thin.  Transfer to dish and cover chicken mixture with crust.  Bake 25 - 30 minutes until golden brown.

This makes a flaky crust that is the closest I have found to the non-GF pie crust that I grew up eating.  We have also tried and liked GF Bisquick as our breading/crust.  That turns out yummy, as well.  My fav though is the Pillsbury crust!  

This recipe turned out so good that Kasen ate three large servings and literally licked his plate!  I know that doesn't exhibit very good manners but I was so glad he liked it that much I just let him lick that plate - after all 3 servings!!! :-)  Needless to say, we had NO leftovers!!!!!

I hope you love this EASY Chicken Pie!  Happy Cooking! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment