Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Chocolate Breakfast Muffins

Oh my stars!  Chocolate goodness!  These breakfast muffins are more like dessert!  The recipe is from one of my favorite websites - www.glutenfreeonashoestring.com  and it is fantastic!


Don't these look yummy?!?!  You may notice that shine on top - that would be a little bit of butter!!  :-)  These were very easy and didn't take very long to make either!

Ingredients:

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk at room temperature
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 extra large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose GF flour (I use Carol's)
3/4 tsp xanthan gum (omit if your flour blend already contains)
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt


1.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease or line a standard 12 cup muffin pan with vegetable shortening or unsalted butter and set aside.
2.  In a container with a tight fitting lid, combine the milk and cider vinegar, close lid and shake vigorously.  Set the container aside.
3.  In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until well combined.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until smooth.  Add the vanilla extract and stir to combine.  
4.  To the wet ingredients, add the flour, xanthan gum, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt, beating well after each addition.  add the milk and beat the mixture until it becomes thicker and a bit more elastic.
5.  Distribute the batter evenly among the twelve muffin cups.  Place muffins in the preheated oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, rotate once during baking.

Ok, so let me just say that this was an experience!  I was afraid they wouldn't turn out well because the batter was way too dry before I added the milk.  As a matter of fact, I added the cocoa and it flew all over my kitchen!  :-P  I quickly turned down my mixer!!!!  I added the milk right after the cocoa to give it moisture so it would blend and then it turned into chocolate magic!  After a minute of mixing, it became thick and gooey (pictured above).  

Also, I folded Hershey's chocolate chips into the batter!  YUM!  Automatically turned them into double chocolate breakfast muffins!!!!  

Right out of the oven, they were fluffy chocolate goodness!  Believe it or not, we had some left over!  That is unusual but it was only because we had just finished our bacon, eggs and grits.  After lunch,I mixed up a powdered sugar topping, popped a couple of these in the microwave for a few seconds and then poured that sweetness on top of these muffins.  Oh my stars!!!!!  They melted in my mouth.  That was when they became dessert!!!!!

The powdered sugar topping is what I make to pour over my cinnamon rolls:
1 tsp butter - melted
2 Tbl milk
enough powdered sugar to give it a nice creamy texture :-)
(warm it up in the microwave and it is ready to drizzle)

Enjoy!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment