Friday, January 10, 2014

Funfetti Cupcakes

Absolutely, the best GF cupcakes - EVER!!!!

CUPCAKES ARE NOT FORBIDDEN FOR THE GLUTEN SENSITIVE! 

In the beginning, I was so sad that we couldn't find a GF cupcake that was good enough for us to even want to finish!  We tried all kinds!  When I finally got over my pity party, dug my feet in and decided to buy a rolling pin, I made it a mission to make the best cupcake ever!  I, of course, did not create the recipe, nor did I create the flour blend; however, I did bake them with my own little hands in my own little oven - not out of a box but with flour, butter, baking powder, etc.!

I tried several different flour blends.  I bought white rice flour, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, potato starch, potato flour, tapioca flour, non-fat dry milk and corn starch to make a flour blend that made a very good cupcake.  It was very involved in that, I had to measure my different flours by weight.  Just creating the flour blend was time consuming, not to mention the whole baking process.  Did I mention that I work full time, sell Cookie Lee Jewelry, have a hubby who coaches high school ball and two boys who play ball non-stop?  I really don't have time to do a lot of creating!

I finally found a match made in Heaven!  I found a pre-made flour blend by Carol Kicinski.  I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!!!!  It is called Carol's Amazing All Purpose Flour.

http://simplygluten-free.com/flour-cookbook-sales

I have not found a flour blend that I like better than this. I never thought I would actually say I like working with a particular flour but I can say that about this flour.  In all of my taste tests, if the flour blend includes sweet rice flour, it is usually yummy!  I don't know what it is about that sweet rice flour but it ROCKS!


I also have fallen in love with a particular website:  http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/   Nicole Hunn is the author of this site and she is so funny!  I love to read her recipes.  She has THE BEST recipe for GF cupcakes!!!!

The combination of Carol's flour and Nicole's recipe is by far, my family's fav!  Enough chitty chatting!  I'm sure you want the recipe.  :-)


Ingredients:
1 1/2 C plus 2 Tbl GF all purpose flour
3/4 tsp xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it - Carol's does)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 C sugar
8 Tbl unsalted butter (at room temp)
1 extra large egg plus 1 extra large egg white (at room temp)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2/3 C milk (at room temp)
6 Tbl GF confetti sprinkles

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Line muffin tin with cupcake liners or grease the wells and set them aside.
2.  In a large bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum (if necessary), baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar and whisk to combine well.  Add the butter, egg, vanilla and milk, mixing after each ingredient is added.  The batter will be pourable.  Fold in sprinkles.
3.  Fill the prepared muffin tins 3/4 of the way full with the batter and sprinkle a few more sprinkles on top.  Place in the center of the oven and bake until golden brown or a toothpick comes out clean.  (about 19 minutes)
4.  Move to wire rack to cool
5.  Frost cupcakes and add a few more sprinkles to the top to make them look cute ;-)
                         
Don't they look YUMMY?!?!
I'm tellin ya, they don't even taste GF!  
Try them, I'm sure you will love them!!! <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment